The Mother House or The Missionaries of Charity’s Mother House, is a holy place of pilgrimage and reverence. The Missionaries of Charity is a Roman Catholic Religious Congregation which was established by Mother Teresa in 1950. The Mother House was home to the Nobel Peace prize awardee Mother Teresa. It now works as the headquarters to the Missionaries of Charity.
Pilgrims, especially Christian pilgrims from all over visit the Mother House to pay a visit, homage and respect to Mother Teresa (who is now a Saint). She was laid to rest here in 1997, her large but sober tomb lies here. Despite being surrounded by crowd, the tomb like mother Teresa herself emits an aura of peace and calm which can be felt by all those who visit it.
The place was established by Mother Teresa in 1950 with the purpose of providing selfless service to mankind and leading them on a path to salvation. She made it her residence and lived here till the end of her days. Her mission was “To care for the Hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers and all those who felt unwanted, unloved, uncared for throughout society, people that have become a burden to society and are shunned by everyone”. After receiving permission from Vatican to establish her own order, Mother Teresa formed this organization, which she initially called Diocesan Congregation of the Calcutta Diocese, which is now called the Missionaries of Charity. The Congregation started with 12 members and now has 4500 sisters in its wing. Pope Paul VI, granted mother Teresa’s request to expand her congregations to other countries in 1965. The Expansion stated from Venezuela, then to Rome and Tanzania and across many countries in Asia, Africa and Europe. By 1996, it had about 517 missions spread across 100 countries.
The building has a small museum attached to it which is called “Mother Teresa’s Life, Spirit and Message”. It has Teresa’s worn sandals, and her battered enamel diner bowl on display. On the upper floor, is a room where she worked and slept from 1953 to 1997, it is preserved well and is very simplistic.
To get here you need to walk from Sudder St for about 15 minutes along Alimuddin St, then two minutes south. It is on the second alley to the right. The entry is free and it is open from 8am to 12pm and from 3pm to 6pm. It remains closed on Thursdays, 27th August, Easter Monday and 26th December.